Message stores degrade over time. You need to periodically clean them up. With Microsoft Exchange message servers, this is particularly important.
Failure to keep the message store healthy results, over time, in problems such as:
- Unplanned downtime to maintain or restore damaged databases
- Increasing warnings, errors and inconsistencies
- Database fragmentation
- Growing data stores, logs and stream files
- Strange and inexplicable behavior
- Higher administrative costs
- Degraded e-mail performance
- Failure to meet backup/restore SLAs
Microsoft’s main utilities to maintain the message store are isinteg and eseutil. The problem is, they require very specialized skills to use them, and they have to be used off-line. Most administrators can’t use them.
We recently met with Lucid8 (www.lucid8.com). This firm offers GoExchange, an automated, preventative maintenance solution for Exchange 5.5, 2000, or 2003 Server. Lucid8 claims 2,000 installations. The product sounds really good and worth investigating.