You don’t see many new product offerings dealing with spam, phishing, and virus control. The reason is that there are about 10 major players slogging it out — firms such as Symantec, Sophos, McAfee, Trend Micro, and so on. Smaller fry are tending to die, or be acquired.
So we learned with interest about Anchiva Systems. This new company has a spyware, virus control, and spam control offering. Highlights are:
- It’s provided as an appliance.
- Support for STMP, HTTP, POP3, FTP. Instant messaging support is being developed.
- 18 months old.
- Over $10 million in VC funding.
- U.S. sales started in April 2006.
Anchiva believes its main selling points are:
- Faster performance — important for boundary solutions.
- The various types of malware control are well integrated, as is the support for the different vectors.