On August 1, IBM announced a new email archiving offering, IBM CommonStore eMail Archiving Preload.
- Aimed at SMBs and channel partners.
- Provides a full range of email archiving services.
- Comes in two flavors, for Exchange and Notes/Domino: IBM CommonStore for Exchange Server and IBM CommonStore for Lotus Domino, respectively.
- Implemented on blades that are inserted into IBM’s System x BladeCenter.
- Built on IBM Content Manager, IBM’s content management offering. All emails are extracted and stored in the centralized content repository.
- All IBM’s own code.
- Scales by inserting new blades.
- General availability in October.
- Notes/Domino users will probably be particularly interested, since the email archiving options for Notes/Domino are rather restricted compared with those for Exchange.
- This is a packaging for SMEs, in blades. We can expect other packagings of essentially the same code in the future; e.g., pure software that organizations can implement themselves in the usual way.
- This packaging — via horizontally scalable blades — may also be attractive to service providers.