Login or join for free to download: TCO Spreadsheets
Notes/Domino and Microsoft Exchange are the leading email products used by businesses. IBM asked Ferris Research to study the cost of the two products. The cost of support staff constitutes 30% to 80% of the cost of an email service and is the largest cost element from the standpoint of IT staff.
We gathered data from 78 users of the two products, asking respondents to describe the nature and size of their support staff. Our research was conducted independently of IBM, and IBM was warned that the results might be unfavorable to its competitive position.
This report presents the key findings of our study.
Important Questions Addressed by This Report Include:
- What are the TCOs of Notes/Domino 7 and of Exchange 2003?
- What is the best way to reduce TCO?
- What is the size of a mean-and-lean support staff, compared with an oversized headcount?
- What are the main cost components?
- How can I estimate my own TCO?
- How does my TCO compare with that of other, similar organizations?
Who Is This Report Suitable For?
This report is suitable for all levels of IT staff and vendor product management staff.
Table of Contents
- Support Staff Levels
Total Cost of Ownership
- Mailboxes per FTE
- Allocation of Applications Costs
- TCO Summaries, ND7 and E2003
About Notes/Domino 7
- Server and Infrastructure
- User Experience
Notes/Domino: Special Costing Considerations
- Instant Messaging License Entitlement
- Notes/Domino Includes Service Continuity
- Notes/Domino Has Fewer Viruses?
- Main Cost Elements
- Detailed Line Items
- About the Survey
- The Financial Model